Winnipeg Cab History / 68: The Winnipeg Taxi War (8)
Previous page Next page Winnipeg Cab History Taxi Library Home

Click on the picture to see a larger version.

Moore announces the arrival of a new locally-built limousine. The body was built by Fort Garry Motor Body and Paint Works with parts and accessories supplied by Consolidated Motors. Both companies ran ads with this one.


Winnipeg Free Press, April 15, 1935, p. 2.

Winnipeg Cab History / 68

The Winnipeg Taxi War (8)

City council's failure to require all cabs to have meters gave meterless cab companies carte blanche to ignore or "estimate" distances. As a result price cutting intensified to the point where, in February, 1934, 26 cab companies appealed to city council to make meters mandatory.

This was the most unity that city politicians had ever seen in the Winnipeg taxi industry and they reacted quickly. A week after hearing from the cab companies council enacted a fifth bylaw making taxi meters mandatory as of June 1, 1934.

The new bylaw, like its predecessors, was undermined by a reluctance to enforce it, particularly by sympathetic magistrates who gave nominal fines to cab owners who could not afford to install meters.

However, this problem was overshadowed by an even more serious threat that ultimately dealt a fatal blow to to Winnipeg's authority over its own taxi industry.

Previous page Next page Winnipeg Cab History Taxi Library Home